Welcome to the Xanthomonas resource!
The genus Xanthomonas in the gamma subdivision of the Proteobacteria consists
of 27 plant-associated species, many of which cause important diseases of crops and ornamentals.
Individual species comprise multiple pathogenic variants (pathovars, pv.). Collectively, members
of the genus cause disease on at least 124 monocot species and 268 dicot species, including fruit
and nut trees, solanaceous and brassicaceous plants, and cereals (Hayward, 1993). They cause
a variety of symptoms including necrosis, cankers, spots, and blight, and they affect a variety
of plant parts including leaves, stems, and fruits (Leyns et al., 1984).
- Hayward AC (1993). The host of Xanthomonas. In: Xanthomonas; pp. 51-54.
J.G. Swings and E.L. Civerolo (eds.); Chapman & Hall, London, United Kingdom.
- Leyns F, De Cleene M, Swings J, De Ley, J (1984). Bot. Rev. 50: 308-356.
- Whoever would like to share his/her EXPERTISE please send me a short notification at koebnik_at_gmx.de with the following data: Name / Affiliation / Email / Area of expertise
- Whoever would like to be kept up to date with NEW DEVELOPMENTS of the website please send me a short notification as well so that I can add you to the mailing list.
- Whoever would like to add something to the FEATURES site please contact me.
- Whoever has an idea for further FUNDING, please let me know.
- Last not least, I am looking forward to your SUGGESTIONS how to improve the website.
- 2012, August 7:
- New Xanthomonas genomes have been added to the GENOMES site:
- Xanthomonas campestris strain JX
- Xanthomonas vasicola pv. vasculorum (3 strains)
- Xanthomonas campestris (vasicola) pv. musacearum (6 strains)
- Xanthomonas axonopodis pv. manihotis (65 strains)
- 2012, July 26:
- Several new bioinformatic resources (databases and prediction algorithms for type III effectors) have been added to the TOOLS site.
- 2012, June 22:
- Several Xanthomonas genomes which have been released in 2012 have been updated or added to the GENOMES site:
- Xanthomonas axonopodis pv. punicae strain LMG859
- Xanthomonas citri pv. mangiferaeindicae strain LMG941
- Xanthomonas axonopodis pv. glycines strain 12-2
- 2012, January 10:
- Several Xanthomonas genomes which have been released in 2011 have been updated or added to the GENOMES site:
- Xanthomonas gardneri strain 101 (ATCC 19865)
- Xanthomonas perforans strain 91-118
- Xanthomonas vesicatoria strain 1111 (ATCC 35937)
- Xanthomonas oryzae strain X11-5A
- Xanthomonas oryzae strain X8-1A
- Xanthomonas hortorum pv. carotae strain M081
- Xanthomonas oryzae pv. oryzicola strain BLS256
- Xanthomonas campestris pv. raphani strain 756C
- Xanthomonas axonopodis pv. citrumelo strain F1 (FL 1195)
- Xanthomonas spec. strain NCPPB1131
- Xanthomonas spec. strain NCPPB1132
- Xanthomonas sacchari strain NCPPB4393
- 2012, January 9:
- If you are interested to follow the literature about Xanthomonas you might wish to follow the following Mendeley groups:
http://www.mendeley.com/groups/1011511/xanthomonas-org/ (literature about Xanthomonas since 2009)
http://www.mendeley.com/groups/1036211/taxonomy/ (literature about taxonomy, diversity, typing and detection of Xanthomonas)
- 2012, January 1:
- A new prototype of the X.org website is available at
http://bioinfo-prod.mpl.ird.fr/xantho/x.org/gui/. Please use this site when you are interested in type III effectors. Little by little, we will add more genomes and type III effector families.
- 2011, June 20:
- We offer an electronic newsletter with weekly updates on literature about Xanthomonas. For registration, please send an email to koebnik_at_gmx.de.
- 2011, June 20:
- Since May 2, 2011, the prototype version of xanthomonas.org is no longer supported/updated. We hope to release a new version soon.
- 2010, May 10:
- Listing of open positions now available at the NEWS site under JOBS.
- 2009, December 10:
- Modifications for XopO and XopAK: new information on HopK1, the homolog from Pst DC3000.
Modifications for XopW: the N terminus is probably one codon downstream for XOO_0037 and PXO_03356. Evidence: the initially predicted GTG start codon is not conserved in Xvv NCPPB702 [TTA=Leu].
- 2009, September 21:
- X. campestris (vasicola) pv. musacearum NCPPB4381 ("Xvm") and X. campestris (vasicola) pv. vasculorum NCPPB702 ("Xvv") added to the GENOMES site and to the type III effector table. Few minor corrections within XopJ class and the P. syringae nomenclature. Few web resources (databases, Wiki) added to the TOOLS site.
- 2009, September 14:
- Pseudomonas syringae pv. tabaci ATCC 11528 ("Pta") added to the type III effector table. Hits to the effectors XopE3, XopAA, and XopAM.
- 2009, September 7:
- Two new type III effector classes added: XopAL and XopAM. These effectors are homologs of Eop3 and HopR1, respectively.
- 2009, August 31:
- Dickeya dadantii Ech703 ("Dd") added to the type III effector table. No hit to any of the effectors.
- 2009, August 24:
- New nomenclature of type III effectors released.
- 2009, July 31:
- The Xanthomonas resource went online.
- 2009, July 15:
- The Xanthomonas resource was introduced for the first time at the Xanthomonas Genomics Conference 2009.
- I wish to thank Jens Boch, Magdalen Lindeberg, Laurent NoŽl, Robert Szczesny for constructive feedback.